Settlement – Licensing Grain Facilities in Canada

How are grain facilities licensed in Canada?

The Canadian Grain Commission is a federal government agency that operates under the authority of the Canada Grain Act. Under the Act, grain dealers and operators of primary, terminal, process and transfer elevators must be licensed by the Canadian Grain Commission or exempted from licensing.

A list of grain dealers and licensed facilities is available on the Canadian Grains Commission website at However, it should be noted that the CGC does not license primary or process elevators in Eastern Canada located in Ontario, Quebec, or the Maritime provinces. Individual provincial licensing regimes exist in these areas.  A list of grain handling facilities licensed in Ontario is listed on Agricorp’s website at

Contact Us

Have a question you'd like answered or comment about the site? Click here to contact us.

Offline FAQ

To download a PDF file of the full FAQs, please click here. (Adobe Acrobat required)