Settlement – Licensing Grain Facilities in the U.S.

How are grain facilities licensed in the U.S.?

U.S. grain elevators providing storage for grain owned by farmers or others are generally
required to have a warehouse license to conduct business. This warehouse license may be
issued by either the federal U.S. government or the state government. Some states have a
grain merchandising license (sometimes called a grain dealer license). The federal
government has no merchandising licensing requirements for facilities. For example,
relevant license requirements for grain buyers and storage providers can be found at:

1. US Department of Agriculture, Warehouse Act regarding grain storage:
2. Idaho:
3. Michigan Department of Agriculture:
4. Minnesota Department of Agriculture:
5. Montana Department of Agriculture:
6. Washington Department of Agriculture:

Contact Us

Have a question you'd like answered or comment about the site? Click here to contact us.

Offline FAQ

To download a PDF file of the full FAQs, please click here. (Adobe Acrobat required)