Commercial Grain Trade – How do I find buyers and sellers in the U.S.?

How do I find buyers and sellers in the U.S.?

There are several locations to find contact information for U.S. grain elevators including state websites, trade association websites, private company websites, telephone directories, etc.

U.S. grain buyers are either privately owned companies or farmer-owned cooperatives.

Most states require grain buyers to be licensed and each state licensing authority maintains lists of licensed businesses. Information found through state and trade associations typically includes many aspects of interest to farmers.

Examples of state websites listing of grain buyers include:

  1. Idaho Department of Agriculture
  2. Michigan Department of Agriculture
  3. Minnesota Department of Agriculture
  4. Montana Department of Agriculture
  5. Washington Department of Agriculture

In the U.S., grain buyers are often listed in telephone and local business directories of state or national trade associations. U.S. grain buyers belong to trade associations who provide for information of interest to both buyers and sellers of grain, including information on trade rules and official requirements. Examples of trade association websites you may want to visit include:

  1. National Grain and Feed Association
  2. Pacific Northwest Grain and Feed Association (Idaho, Montana, Oregon and Washington)
  3. Michigan
  4. Minnesota

Sellers of grain that want to deliver across the border are advised to contact the company prior to delivery to ensure that company is a willing receiver/buyer of grain and the terms of a commercial transaction are fully understood.

Contact Us

Have a question you'd like answered or comment about the site? Click here to contact us.

Offline FAQ

To download a PDF file of the full FAQs, please click here. (Adobe Acrobat required)