Commercial Grain Trade – What identification is required to enter the U.S. from Canada?

What identification is required to enter the U.S. from Canada?

Canadian producer and commercial truck drivers require a valid driver’s license for the transport unit they are operating. All drivers and passengers need a passport or Free and Secure Trade (FAST) identity card.

Canadian producer and commercial trucks arriving at the border must have Customs paperwork including a prior notification (PN) number for each shipment crossing at the border, to reference entry information that has been filed with customs in advance of arrival at the border.

All vehicles operated within the United States by motor carriers domiciled in a contiguous foreign country, shall have on board the vehicle a legible copy, in English, of an insurance document provided by an insurance company and required by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations.

Canada-domiciled motor carriers and freight forwarders must maintain, as acceptable evidence of financial responsibility, insurance policies issued by Canadian insurance companies legally authorized to issue such policies in the Canadian Province or Territory where the motor carrier or freight forwarder has its principal place of business.    Proper filing and retention of MCS-90, Endorsement for Motor Carrier Policies of Insurance for Public Liability under Sections 29 and 30 of The Motor Carrier Act of 1980 MCS-90 is required.

Further information on the requirements for Canadians traveling to the U.S. is available at

Contact Us

Have a question you'd like answered or comment about the site? Click here to contact us.

Offline FAQ

To download a PDF file of the full FAQs, please click here. (Adobe Acrobat required)